Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

E-Learning

This chapter was very interesting. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but I reminds me of what I posted last week about my experience with eLC. I loved the section on the three types of e-learning: Synchronous, Asynchronous, and Blended. Blended is the way to go in my opinion. Students need independent work and reflection (synchronous) and also a mix of teleconferences (synchronous) to share and collaborate.

After reading this chapter, I reflected on the pros and cons of e-learning. I think the biggest pro is that its convenient for all walks of life. It can be for high school students taking college courses or the working mom trying to finish up her degree. One big con is that it requires self-motivation. I know many students that simply can't stand e-learning because they easily fall behind or miss assignments because they lack the motivation on get online everyday.

4 comments:

  1. It *is* hard to stay on top of things in an online class. Even though this class is set up very well, I have missed a few blogging deadlines! (My own fault...I admit it!) Life gets crazy and sometimes school has to take a backseat to family and work. That's one of the things I like about online classes though...flexibility. I appreciate a program that takes into account that the students have a lot going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this was an interesting chapter. E-Learning is all around us. My student teacher is pursuing her degree through an Western Governors University, an online institution (http://www.wgu.edu/education/online_teaching_degree). She is an excellent facilitator of learning.

    Several of my colleagues have expressed that they did not pursue a particular degree because it was an e-learning degree. Many need the face-to-face environment. Like you, I have enjoyed my experience with e-learning. It has alleviated travel time. Also, the sessions are recorded which allows one to revisit for clarification.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Motivation is definitely a huge factor when it comes to success in online classes... Most facilitators know that the motivating factors for educators- like the advanced degree and the pay increase- aren't always enough to help the students ENJOY the course. It would be great if those people who develop e-learning courses provided more extrinsic motivation through the activities and the assignments... I think a lot of that comes with incorporating more real world project based instruction- instead of just the same old stuff.

    E-learming courses are challenging for lots of different reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Lara! Motivation is important in success in online learning. Not only that, I think self-regulation is also critical. In an online learning environment, students must keep track of everything. I think this is even challenging for adult learners as well. I personally believe that students in online leaning should be taught how they can manage their online classes..!

    ReplyDelete