Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Project Idea

My concentration is in science, specifically Biology or Life Science. I will design my lesson plan to fit in a 9th grade Biology classroom and fit into the GPS and curriculum. One of the biggest struggles I have seen in the classroom is student motivation. How can we get students motivated to learn? And not just memorize for a test, I'm talking about actually assimilate and reflect on information? Trying to do that while also making it fun is a nearly impossible task.  

I'm going to focus on the unit of Cellular Reproduction. What I'd like to do is have groups of 3 or 4 students teach a certain area of the unit. They will make a short 5-7 minute video to present to the class. Students will pick a topic to teach, record themselves teaching the information, and make the presentation somewhat interactive. This may include having the audience manipulate cut-outs on their desk (e.g. the process of mitosis) as the presentation occurs, creating a dance or routine for the audience to mimic, or just simply printing guided notes for the audience to fill out. To make this work, I will need a school-loaned video camera, projector screen, and computer lab with printers for students to use.

I really have never thought of this idea before, so any input would be very helpful!

Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I'm math and not science, but it sounds great! I work for Georgia Virtual School and we have a shared resource for the current GPS Biology course. http://www.gavirtuallearning.org/Resources/SharedBiologyScienceCopy.aspx

    Take a look there at the various modules. They do follow the Georgia GPS. So it may give you some good ideas.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it sounds like a great idea! I tell my students all the time that teaching something makes you really learn it, so your idea sounds great to me. :) My only advice would be to make sure you have a really strong rubric, because there will always be those kids who try to get by with as little work as possible. I think they will enjoy creating their unit and filming it. I also like the idea of requiring an interactive portion of the lesson. Perhaps audience participation could be a section of the rubric?

    I look forward to seeing your idea unfold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great project- I worked with a middle school science teacher that did a similar project- I'm sure she wouldn't mind my sharing what she did...

    She made them responsible for a unit and required them to teach through a video (that they got parental permission to post on school tube). They also had to create an artifact (and most chose to make a Promethean flip-chart because it was interactive). Shelley's idea about a rubric was right on- My friend's project worked so well because her rubric was very specific. Especially about the video-- She required creativity (I think she called it innovation - and cited one of the GPS). Some of the videos were awesome- not filmed in front of a whiteboard... but outdoors and in whatever setting they could find (which was hard because this was south Georgia- not rich kids).

    Anyway, I guess my advice is to go for it, but like Shelley says, be very specific with the rubric. Look forward to seeing it!

    -Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be a great project for middle school students. The opportunity to video themselves will capture their interest. I like the idea of part of the lesson being interactive so that all students may be involved at a point in the lesson. I agree with Shelley and Jordan about being very specific with the rubric. Rubistar (http://rubistar.4teachers.org/) provides rubrics that you may revise or an option to create your own.

    Wish you had been able to obtain the flip cameras through Digital Wish. However, their deal ended this summer. They do, however, have an option for teachers to place their wish and donors assist in fulfilling the teacher's wish (http://www.digitalwish.com/dw/digitalwish/home).

    It is a very viable project. Excited to see your final project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making videos is a great way to get students interested in a project. I used to teach a video course as a high school elective, so I know a bit about it. There are 3 phases: pre-production, production and post-production. In pre-production, they students do all the scripting, prop making and all other phases of planning the video. I always say "George Lucas didn't turn on a camera and just happen to capture Star Wars on luck....it was planned." Then, they shoot the film in production. In post-production, they can make "magic" through editing the movie to add titles, and even some interesting effects. Windows Movie Maker is standard on most school PCs. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete